Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Music and a girl




Here in the Rain ©Dan Nel Photography 2008

Truly it has been a while since this blog has seen ink flow... or should I say (e-ink) whatever that looks like...

I was contemplating whether or not to delete this blog, and then I realized that would be utter craziness!

Since I began this blog, there have been so many stories and events that it would be a shame to delete and forget all the moments depicted here. Some of the memories are vibrant and some are just plain distressing the sort of “bedrock” of my life over the past 5 year. I have been absent from exchanging thoughts or words since late 2007... Yet so much has happened since then. So instead of starting a new blog and obliterating what was left behind on this one, I am going to revive its life... A new look and perhaps a few other changes will do some good. It’s odd actually, Blog’s used to be such a big thing a few years back, I suppose they still are, however I think with applications like Facebook and Myspace, I think maybe they have lost some of their admired flair. I don’t really care if others come across mine or read my entries, it’s really something that I like and enjoyed for a long time... and it’s great reading back about 2005...

Anyhow since late 2007 some things have happened that impacted me greatly... I had been working on songs in order to put together an album since I moved to Calgary in summer of 2004.. Little did I know then that in February 2008 my dream would play out.. I recorded an album with Slyngshot records in Calgary Alberta and released early August 2008. In October I entered into a cross Canada music competition and came 2nd place in the performance category... so that was great to experience. Since I have been playing shows in western Canada and just loving it. It’s hard being an indie artist, working and playing music on weekends when you can, but you keep doing it for the love of the music. So if you like my MUSIC you can add me to facebook HERE and keep updated with when I play shows and what not. I haven’t been at school since January 08’.. it gave me an opportunity to work on the music project. 2008 flew by, it was a good year. So here we are in 2009, music going well and truly entering into a new chapter in my life. Over the last few years I have not dated anyone, in fact my mother referred to my “love life” as a “golf cart on NASCAR” lol.. Frankly I found myself lost with what I wanted kinda like running around like a chicken with my head cut off.. I decided that this year I’d stop looking for “Miss right”... And then... Boom a girl comes along. So yeah, interesting how that works out. You always hear people say “I wasn’t looking and then I found her”... that actually happened. I am stoked about her and what is in store for us, she is great and I love being with her.

Anyhow... wanted to start with this and make an effort to write more on here...

Here’s a little something I wrote a couple days ago... some thoughts...

enjoy...


-Dan


Flowers and Honey - Dan Nel 2009


I couldn’t comprehend, my voice too young to feed the fire

Fortunate! On the side of the fence with the bees and running streams

An ally so sweet, an innocent calloused actuality

Behind the sharp steel, you learn to think

A place reserved, your place of bliss

Sheltered by grace, and good virtue yet separated by race

A chasm so deep, a mind of a child, scared by ghosts in the dark

Tall tales of deceit, broken promises and a lash from those who teach

Outside was our comfort, out here we were lost, outside was a home

Nothing could be a bother, run free, fall hard push on! such a rush

When the door was open, the sun so warm dried the floor

Clothes hung out to dry, pinned by wood fresh in the wind

A splash in the distance, a cold summer pool. A mind refreshed

Stay in the shallow, slowly advanced.. find it in the deep

Feel it, Find it ,embrace it

Step out on the ledge.

It’s raining

No comments: